Migration Safari, Serengeti
Locally Escorted Small Group 2016 - 2017
- 7-Day Migration Safari small group tour - an experience of a lifetime following the Great Migration, a natural phenomenon where over a million wildebeests and hundreds of thousands of zebras and gazelles migrate north annually.
- Safari, in Kiswahili, means "journey". But in English it has become a synonyme for a wildlife viewing adventure in the African bush. 'To go on safari' In Tanzania is, and always will remain a fascinating and exclusive experience!
Price per person double from CA $5,680 + Airfare
- Enjoy an experience of a lifetime following the Great Migration, a natural phenomenon where over a million wildebeests and hundreds of thousands of zebras and gazelles migrate north annually.
- The annual migration, for which Serengeti National Park is most famous, sees over a million wildebeest and over 250,000 zebra traverse its ‘endless plains’. The migration is just one highlight of this 7 day adventure through incredible Tanzania.
- Ernest Hemmingway called Lake Manyara the ‘loveliest lake in Africa’ (sorry Victoria!). The surrounding National Park is famed for its baboons, and is an excellent spot to see hippos, giraffes, elephants and tree climbing lions. 2 nights here with a morning and afternoon game drive will give you the best chance of seeing these beautiful creatures.
- The world’s largest open, inactive volcanic crater, Ngorongoro is one of Africa’s finest wildlife conservation areas and home to over 25,000 large animals including lions, zebra wildebeest and gazelles. It is also one of your best opportunities to see black rhinos, the rarest of the Big 5.
- Serengeti National Park is the crown jewel of Tanzania, known for its annual migration of wildebeest and zebra. Other animals include the Big 5 (more then 3,000 lions and 1,000 leopards call the Serengeti home), cheetahs, hyenas, baboons, African wild dogs and giraffes. Bird watchers should also keep their eyes peeled for over 500 species that inhabit the plains.
Day 1 - Arrive Arusha:
- On arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport you will be met and assisted by Goway's local representative and transferred to your hotel in Arusha. The rest of the day is at leisure.
Duration - 1 Night
Accommodation - The Arusha Hotel
Since 1894 The Arusha Hotel has watched as the once sleepy town of Arusha has grown up around it. From its central vantage point at the famous Clock Tower roundabout and overlooked by the majestic shadow of Mount Meru, this is the finest place to stay in Arusha. The Arusha Hotel nestles in the most beautifully landscaped gardens in the region. With rolling lawns, abundant trees, a large variety of exotic plants and stunning iridescent birdlife, the gardens of The Arusha Hotel provide an oasis from the bustling town. Just after the rains, the garden is alive with vibrantly coloured butterflies and flowers. It's a supreme boutique hotel, surrounded by the history of bygone eras. The hotel boasts the finest location in the heart of Arusha, in the tranquil surroundings of its own tropical gardens.
Day 2 - Arusha - Tarangire National Park:
- After breakfast, rejoin your safari driver guide and drive to the Eastern edge of Tarangire National Park arriving at Nimali Tarangire in time for lunch. The lodge is situated alongside the riverbed and well hidden amongst the acacia and baobab trees.
- Tarangire National Park hosts among other species Buffalo, Elephant, Lion, Warthog, Eland, the Fringe-eared Oryx, Lesser and Greater Kudu, Gerenuk, and large numbers of Impala. Enjoy an afternoon game drive before returning to the lodge for dinner.
Meal Plan - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Duration - 2 Nights
Accommodation - Nimali Tarangire
Day 3 - Tarangire National Park:
- Today will be spent on an extended game drive in Tarangire National Park with a stop for a picnic lunch.
Meal Plan - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Day 4 - Ngorongoro Conservation Area/Crater:
- This morning you will commence the drive to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. On arrival at the Lemala Ngorongoro Camp, you will collect lunch boxes and drive to the floor of the crater for an extended carter tour. Quite possibly the most famous of all Africa's conservation areas, this is one of the places where you stand a good chance of seeing the Big 5. The enduring charm of Ngorongoro stems from its overwhelming physical beauty and the abundance of wildlife permanently resident here. Later you will return to your camp for check in and the rest of the day is at leisure.
Meal Plan - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Duration - 1 Night
Accommodation - Lemala Camp Ngorongoro
Day 5 - Serengeti National Park:
- After breakfast, drive to the Serengeti National Park, undoubtedly the most famous wildlife sanctuary in the world, unequalled for its natural beauty and the greatest concentration of plains game anywhere. Arrive for lunch at your lodge and later this afternoon you will have a game drive until sunset. Tanzania's oldest and most popular national park, also a world heritage site and recently proclaimed a 7th worldwide wonder, the Serengeti is famed for its annual migration, when some six million hooves pound the open plains, as more than 200,000 zebra and 300,000 Thomson's gazelle join the wildebeest's trek for fresh grazing. Yet even when the migration is quiet, the Serengeti offers arguably the most scintillating game-viewing in Africa: great herds of buffalo, smaller groups of elephant and giraffe, and thousands upon thousands of eland, topi, kongoni, impala and Grant's gazelle.
- The spectacle of predator versus prey dominates Tanzania's greatest park. Golden-maned lion prides feast on the abundance of plain grazers. Solitary leopards haunt the acacia trees lining the Seronera River, while a high density of cheetahs prowls the southeastern plains. Almost uniquely, all three African jackal species occur here, alongside the spotted hyena and a host of more elusive small predators, ranging from the insectivorous aardwolf to the beautiful serval cat. This evening you will enjoy a sundowner at the Mukoma Hills.
Meal Plan - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Duration - 2 Nights
Accommodation - Lemala Ewanjan Camp
Day 6 - Serengeti National Park:
- A full day is spent in the Serengeti with a picnic lunch. There is more to Serengeti than large mammals. Gaudy agama lizards and rock hyraxes scuffle around the surfaces of the park's isolated granite koppies. A full 100 varieties of dung beetle have been recorded, as have 500- plus bird species, ranging from the outsized ostrich and bizarre secretary bird of the open grassland, to the black eagles that soar effortlessly above the Lobo Hills. As enduring as the game-viewing is the liberating sense of space that characterizes the Serengeti Plains, stretching across sunburnt savannah to a shimmering golden horizon at the end of the earth. Yet, after the rains, this golden expanse of grass is transformed into an endless green carpet flecked with wildflowers. And there are also wooded hills and towering termite mounds, rivers lined with fig trees and acacia woodland stained orange by dust. Popular the Serengeti might be, but it remains so vast that you may be the only human audience when a pride of lions masterminds a siege, focused unswervingly on its next meal.
Meal Plan - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Day 7 - Depart Arusha:
- After breakfast, check out and transferred to the local airstrip for your scheduled flight back to Arusha. Upon arrival you will be met and transferred to Kilimanjaro Airport for your departure flight back home. A Goway representative will assist you at check-in and reconfirm your onward flight.
Meal Plan - Breakfast
- 6 nights accommodation
- return airport transfers
- all park entrance fees
- services of a qualified English speaking driver-guide
- transportation in a 7 seater 4 x 4 vehicle
- 1L bottle of mineral water per person per day while on a road safari
- Safari Pouch with a pen and Expedition Hat
- Most meals as per Itinerary
- International and domestic flights
- Travel insurance
- Departures every Monday
- Minimum of 2 passengers
- Safari can be extended to include 2 nights in the Ndutu section of the Serengeti
- This safari does not operate in April and May (Rainy Season)
Wild animals can be dangerous and you should not wander off on your own, especially at night, while on safari. However most animals are rather frightened by humans and will flee instead of attacking unless cornered or provoked. Keep a sensible distance and treat them with respect.
What are the Big Five and Why:
Today, they are five of the animals which people most want to see while on Safari. One hundred years ago the Big Five were the most sought after animals to hunt. They were the fiercest, the most dangerous animals; the animals that would hunt the hunter.
Explorers of East Africa went home with stories of lions and leopards in the tall African grass, of rhinos that would charge at the mere smell of a person, of the Cape Buffalo hidden in the bushes, and of the terrors of an enraged elephant.
Today, of course, the hunting is done with camera lenses, but that doesn't take away from the thrill of seeing your first lion or hearing a leopard walk past your camp at night. These big mammals are each far more interesting than the early explorers knew.
When travelling to Tanzania a course of anti malaria tablets is essential and many doctors also advise a Hepatitis A vaccination. All childhood vaccinations, especially Tetanus, should be up to date. Malaria prophylaxis and a stand-by suppressant (as well as insect repellents) are advised. When entering Tanzania a proof of immunisation against Yellow Fever is required. We highly recommend that you consult a local travel health specialist at least 6 weeks before travelling.
What is the best time to visit Serengeti?
Any time other than during the long rains in April and May is a perfect time to be on Safari in Northern Tanzania.
Weather: Maximum temperature is around 28° celsius (82°fahrenheit) at Seronera. At Ngorongoro Crater the nights can be very chilly due to altitude.
Packing: Small aircraft which are often used for transfers within Tanzania limit your baggage to 10 - 15 kg (25 - 30 pounds) per person. It is advisable to carry your luggage in soft bags rather than hard sided suitcases.
What clothes should I bring?
On Safari comfortable cotton clothing is very practical. Your packing checklist should include:
- a pair of comfortable, closed walking shoes & a pair of sandals
- a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
- casual lightweight trousers
- warm sweater
- long sleeves (limit the chance of being bitten by mosquitoes)
- insect repellent
- a small flashlight
- malaria stand-by medication + first aid kit
- passport (6 month valid) + vaccination certificate
- US cash and credit card
- plenty of films
The official currency of Tanzania is Tanzanian shillings and cents. However, US dollars are mostly favoured. You will need little spending money on most safaris as the majority of meals and activities are included in your package.
Essential Tanzania 7-Day Safari from CA $2,999 per person
double + Airfare
Locally Escorted Small Group Tour
This week long tour in Tanzania introduces travellers to some of the most impressive wildlife viewing areas in Africa. Beginning in Arusha, the tour travels overland to Manyara National Park, where one can enjoy several exciting game drives and obeserve Manyara's unique birdlife.The next destination is Serengeti National Park, home to the Big Five and world-renowned for its wildlife viewing opportunities. Lastly the tour will visit is Ngorongoro Crater, a haven for wildlife located on the eastern edge of the Rift Valley, before returning to Arusha.
- Search for exotic wildlife in Tarangire / Manyara National Park
- Enjoy a game drive in the UNESCO protected Serengeti National Park
- Tour Ngorongoro Crater; a beautiful wildlife haven at the edge of the Rift Valley
- 6 Nights lodge accommodation on a twin sharing basis
- 6 Breakfasts, 5 Lunches and 5 Dinners
- Meet and greet services
- Guaranteed window seat in 4x4 vehicle with photo roof (max 7 clients per vehicle)
- Services of an English speaking driver-guide
- Game drives and crater tour
- All park fees and government taxes
- One bottle of mineral water per person per day during game drives
- Two-way long range high frequency radio communication in each vehicle.
- On safari accessories in each vehicle: First-aid kit, wildlife books, cools box and fire extinguisher
- Airfare & Travel Insurance - please call us for a quote
- Visa Fees (payable upon arrival at all entry points)
DAY 1 - ARUSHA ARRIVAL:
- Arrive Kilimanjaro Airport, where you are met and transferred to your hotel located a short distance from Arusha Town Centre.
- Overnight Kibo Palace Hotel, Arusha
DAY 2 - ARUSHA - LAKE MANYARA (B, L, D):
- After breakfast, depart to the beautiful Lake Manyara, a shallow alkaline lake that shimmers in a cleft in the Great Rift Valley. You will arrive for lunch at your lodge followed by afternoon game drive. Tucked below the majesty of the Rift Valley wall, Lake Manyara National Park consists of a thin green band of forest, flanked by the sheer 600 m high red and brown cliffs of the escarpment on one side and by the white-hot shores of an ancient soda lake on the other. Acacia woodland shelters the park’s famous tree climbing lions, lying languidly among the branches in the heat of the day. Lake Manyara safaris offers many unique views including elephant, giraffe, buffalo and wildebeest can be found grazing in unexpected clearings or heading towards the water to drink or wash, and the rivers and riverbeds provide scenic vistas for possible animal spotting. Warthog seem to thrive here, growing notably fat and tuskered, and it is a natural playground for baboons and monkeys. Later on in the afternoon, you will be transferred to the lodge for dinner and overnight stay.
- Overnight at Tloma Lodge, Lake Manyara
DAY 3 - LAKE MANYARA NATIONAL PARK - SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK (B, L, D):
- After breakfast, depart to the famous Serengeti national park. En route visit the Olduvai Gorge. Arrive in Serengeti and embark on an afternoon game viewing drive in the park. Return later as the sun sets for dinner and overnight.
- Overnight at Kati Kati Camp, Serengueti
DAY 4 - SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK (B, L, D):
- On the second day, you will have a full day of game viewing drives in the park with all meals and overnight at the park.
- The spectacle of predator versus prey dominates greatest park during a Serengeti safari. Golden-maned lion prides feast on the abundance of plain grazers. Solitary leopards haunt the acacia trees lining the Seronera River, while a high density of cheetahs prowls the southeastern plains. Almost uniquely, all three African jackal species occur here, alongside the spotted hyena and a host of more elusive small predators, ranging from the insectivorous aardwolf to the beautiful serval cat. But there is more to a safari in the Serengeti Plain than large mammals. Gaudy agama lizards and rock hyraxes scuffle around the surfaces of the park's isolated granite koppies. A full 100 varieties of dung beetle have been recorded, as have 500-plus bird species, ranging from the outsized ostrich and bizarre secretary bird of the open grassland, to the black eagles that soar effortlessly above the Lobo Hills.
- Overnight at Kati Kati Camp, Serengueti.
DAY 5 - SERENGETI NATIONAL PARK - NGORONGORO CRATER (B, L, D):
- You will have an early morning game drive. Following breakfast, depart for the famous Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area (NCCA), which features rolling plains, lakes, craters, mountains and dormant volcanoes. Journey up the side of the vast Ngorongoro Crater, a World Heritage Site, which is one of the largest volcanic craters in the world (almost 20 kilometers wide, 610-760 metres deep and covering a total area of 264 sq km). Arrive for lunch at Ngorongoro Farm House. Rest of the afternoon at leisure.
- Optional afternoon coffee walk on complimentary.
- Overnight at Ngorongoro Farm House, Ngorongoro
DAY 6 - NGORONGORO CRATER (INSIDE THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT) (B, L, D):
- After breakfast, descend into the ‘8th Wonder of the World’, a unique biosphere that has remained virtually unchanged since the dawn of time. Enclosed within its towering walls are grasslands, swamps, forests, saltpans, a fresh water lake and a glorious variety of birdlife. Here too are all the members of the ‘Big Five’ (lion, elephant, rhino, leopard and buffalo) as well as a large cast of plains game and one of Africa’s densest populations of predators. Enjoy a picnic lunch on the crater floor before climbing up, transfer back. Overnight in Ngorongoro
DAY 7 - NGORONGORO CRATER – ARUSHA – DEPARTURE (B):
- After breakfast this morning, drive back to Arusha for lunch. You will later be transferred to the Kilimanjaro airport for your flight back home.
10-16 Jan 2016 CAD $3290
17-23 Jan 2016 CAD $3290
07-13 Feb 2016 CAD $3290
14-20 Feb 2016 CAD $3290
07-13 Mar 2016 CAD $2990
14-20 Mar 2016 CAD $2990
21-27 Mar 2016 CAD $2990
04-10 Apr 2016 CAD $2990
11-17 Apr 2016 CAD $2990
18-24 Apr 2016 CAD $2990
02-08 May 2016 CAD $2990
09-15 May 2016 CAD $2990
16-22 May 2016 CAD $2990
06-12 Jun 2016 CAD $2990
13-19 Jun 2016 CAD $2990
20-26 Jun 2016 CAD $2990
11-17 Jul 2016 CAD $3290
18-24 Jul 2016 CAD $3290
15-21 Aug 2016 CAD $3290
22-28 Aug 2016 CAD $3290
12-18 Sep 2016 CAD $3290
19-25 Sep 2016 CAD $3290
03-09 Oct 2016 CAD $3290
10-16 Oct 2016 CAD $3290
17-23 Oct 2016 CAD $3290
07-13 Nov 2016 CAD $2990
14-20 Nov 2016 CAD $2990
21-27 Nov 2016 CAD $2990
05-11 Dec 2016 CAD $3290
12-18 Dec 2016 CAD $3290
19-25 Dec 2016 CAD $3290
Single suplement from CA $650 per person
Optional - Extend your trip with the luxury stay on the island of Zanzibar